Flagship Opening – The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi, a 221-room Property on the Noonu Atoll Maldives
Maldives, February 22, 2014 – Sun Travels and Sun Hotels & Resorts has rebranded as Sun Siyam Resorts with the phased launch of multiple luxury resorts in the Maldives, Sri Lanka and beyond. The international travel company’s new brand identity and ethos will be unveiled at its first and flagship opening – The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi, a five-star 221-room property on the Noonu Atoll Maldives, which launches on 21st February 2014. QUO hospitality-specialist brand agency has brought to life the Sun Siyam founder, Hon. Ahmed Siyam Mohamed’s tourism vision: an identity that has one foot firmly in the future, one foot steadfast in its heritage, whilst at the same time striving to challenge traditional perceptions of luxury.
In launching Sun Siyam Resorts, native Maldivian entrepreneur Mr. Siyam has created the first Maldivian named, and owned, brand in the hospitality sector. His national pride is richly evident in the Sun Siyam philosophy, one that personifies the genuine warmth of the people and love for local communities, whilst at the same time respecting ever-evolving industry trends and championing various charitable initiatives. In Mr. Siyam’s own words, “Creating a tourism product that gives back to its people, enhances the lives of others and yet challenges the industry is the key to success. The resort is an expression of love. It is all about the people, whether they are your staff, your guests or your community”.
The evolution of Sun Siyam Resorts
After working his way through the ranks at various resorts, Mr Siyam started his business empire with a small tour operator business. This quickly blossomed into a travel and development company that now owns and operates multiple divisions, dedicated to a range of industries and activities including spas, diving and construction. The crown of these divisions is the new Sun Siyam Resorts, encapsulating three rapidly-expanding global, luxury hospitality brands: The Sun Siyam, Beach House Collection and Sun Ray.
The Sun Siyam will be flagship resorts – limited to one per country – each offering something uniquely special, that seek to redefine current luxury offerings and to embed community development and sustainability at their core. The first embodiment of this philosophy is The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi, Maldives. Beach House Collection will be an exquisite selection of luxury boutique properties (the current portfolio includes an existing property in the Maldives, with a new opening set to launch this year in Sri Lanka). Sun Ray is a ‘cool and quirky’ hotel brand due to launch in the latter half of 2014, with two properties and five more resorts planned across three countries within the next five years.
A new beginning, a new approach and a new logo – everything from visual identity to on-the-ground standards and services have been given a new lease of life. Pierre Vermeir, QUO’s Creative Director and mastermind behind the new logo paints the picture, “The sun symbol has three meanings – firstly, it is formed by joining a set of ‘S’s’ to reinforce the name Sun Siyam and unify the different business ventures. Secondly, it reflects the entrepreneurial spirit of Mr Siyam. And lastly, by nature the sun communicates energy and warmth, reflecting the characteristics of the brand”.
About Sun Siyam
– Sun Travels & Tours was formed in 1990 by the group¡¦s chairman, Mr. Ahmed Siyam Mohamed, as a travel agent and tour operator with the aim of providing quality and efficient services in the tourism sector. In just a few years, the company became the leading travel agent in the country, with the highest bed capacity. The company secured allotments from more than 40 resorts and hotels across the country and provides efficient and reliable services to its partners and clients.
– In 1998, the company successfully bid to secure the lease and development of its first resort, Vilu Reef Beach & Spa Resort, located in Dhaalu Atoll (South Nilandhe Atoll) south of the capital Male. The resort maintained an excellent 95% occupancy rate throughout its operation, leading to the rapid expansion and diversification of the group business.
– In 2001, the group acquired a majority sharehold in Emerald Resort Private Limited, the holding company of the then Olhuveli View Hotel. The resort was opened the following year as Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort, after a multimillion-dollar makeover becoming the second ‘gem’ in the group.
– Venturing into the lucrative safari business, the company invested in a luxury cruiser Sunset Queen, a brand new vessel with nine generously appointed cabins. The vessel came into operation in 2004 and continues to be one of the most luxurious and sought-after safari boats in Maldives.
– Sun Diving Schools and Sun Spa Resorts Pvt Ltd were formed in 2003 and 2004 respectively, to further enhance the services of the group across the various segments of the tourism industry. The group added two additional prestigious properties to its portfolio in 2007 and 2008 – the exclusive Beach House at Manafaru Maldives (a boutique resort with 83 villas) and Iru Fushi Beach & Spa Resort.
– The first international addition to the portfolio – which will join the Beach House Collection brand of the newly launched Sun Siyam Resorts – is a luxury 36-villa boutique hotel situated in Pasikudah Bay, Eastern Sri Lanka. Beach House Pasikudah is underway and scheduled for opening in late 2014.
– In addition, Sun Siyam, has continued to engage in other service-related sectors such as out-bound travel, airline ground handling and local representation. The group also has its own fleet of high speed transfer vessels to cater for the Maldives’ expanding tourism industry.
Tel: (+65) 6908 0698
Click to visit website