AirAsia’s takeover of Zest Air seen securing Congress nod before yearend


By: Darwin G. Amojelar,
AirAsia's takeover of Zest Air seen securing Congress nod before yearendMANILA, Phils., Nov. 25, 2013 – Former ambassador Alfredo Yao expects Congress to approve before the end of the year the transfer of control over Zest Airways Inc to the Philippine unit of Southeast Asia’s largest budget carrier.


The owner of Zest Air told reporters last week that the company submitted its application to Congress “a few days ago” and expects this to be approved in a “month’s time.”


When asked for how much Air Asia Inc is acquiring shares in Zest Air, Yao said, “It depends on their appetite. They are very interested. Up to what percent, I don’t know.”


Yao had said he was willing to stay in Zest Air as substantial minority.


Last May, Philippines AirAsia Inc acquired a 49 percent voting stake and an 85 percent economic interest in Zest Air. The transaction also included the sale of Asiawide Airways Inc to Philippines Air Asia.


In exchange, Yao will get a 13 percent stake in Philippines Air Asia for $16 million.


Malaysia’s AirAsia group owns 40 percent of Philippine Air Asia, with Marianne Hontiveros, Michael Romero, Antonio Cojuangco and Yao holding the remaining 60 percent.


After the transaction, Zest Airways was rebranded as AirAsia Zest.


AirAsia Zest serves Kalibo (Boracay), Puerto Princesa (Palawan), Cebu, Davao, Tagbilaran, and Cagayan de Oro in the Philippines, as well as international points in Asia including China and South Korea.


AirAsia Zest operates a fleet of 13 servicing nine domestic and four international routes from Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).





One thought on “AirAsia’s takeover of Zest Air seen securing Congress nod before yearend

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.